Public Education - Contractor Awareness Program
The following represents the method used to produce Public Education - Contractor Awareness Program:
- We obtain from mail list vendors, yellow pages, pipeline companies and other sources, names of various types of excavators identified in 103 standard industrial classification (SIC) codes. Names of appropriate public officials and newspapers for each state are purchased from a variety of sources including state and federal agencies.
- Every 12 to 15 months the excavators and appropriate public officials are invited, by first class mail with an enclosed RSVP, to attend a buffet and pipeline safety program being held near their location. The envelopes are imprinted with "address service requested." All area newspapers are sent an invitation and press release.
- If the RSVP is not received in the specified time, our staff calls to investigate and documents the call on our "Phone Log." If the address is incorrect, we try to obtain a correct mailing address and re-mail the invitation before program time. We also fax or e-mail invitations to those who indicate a preference.
- On the day of the program we provide tables for the sponsoring pipeline companies to set up displays of safety related information.
- When the guests arrive they sign a registration form and are given a comment form to fill out. They are then provided a buffet.
- After the buffet a PowerPoint presentation is made emphasizing the importance of "Public Law 103-272." Copies of this law are given to departing guests.
- The facilitator briefly relates emergency response procedures to be used if involved in a pipeline accident. He also discusses how One-Call systems operate, how information should be provided to the center and what questions to expect upon calling a One-Call center. Time is allotted for a question and answer session. In closing, the speaker invites each guest to stop by the sponsoring companies' tables to further discuss matters of importance to them. One-Call and safety-related information is distributed to the departing guests.
- The invitation list, registration forms and other information are copied, bound and sent to each sponsoring company of that program along with a CD of the compliance book.